Develop plans and strategies to ensure that membership is kept informed of federal and state legislative issues affecting the business and local community. When recommended by the committee and approved by EPCC Board, advocate on behalf of business interests in conjunction with the State and National Chambers.
The purpose of the Governmental Affairs Committee is to:
- Provide members with up to date, objective information on existing or upcoming state and federal legislation that will have an impact on businesses, employers and employees.
- Keep Chamber Board informed of issues relevant to the Chamber constituency.
- Maintain working relationships with elected representatives on the state and federal level for the East Parker County area.
Return control to the local government jurisdictions.
Oppose any attempt to limit or prohibit the authority of city, county and /or school district officials to use pubic funds to communicate with legislators and state agencies as well as to pay membership dues to organizations that hire lobbyists.
Maintain all economic development tools available, reauthorizing Chapter 313 to enable Texas the ability to compete for major capital-intensive projects.
Develop plans and resources needed for greater broadband connectivity to enhance access to public education, healthcare, employment, news and information.
The East Parker County Chamber is committed to improving education and training for high-skilled labor positions in East Parker County which require technical training beyond high school other than traditional college.
· Maintain public school funding levels established in HB3 including full funding for high-quality pre-K and early childhood education for all eligible children.
· Maintain funding for the Skills Development Fund grants to improve workforce training including 60X30TX, 300X300, and continuing investment in SBDCs to support small business.
· Maintain higher education formula funding from the 86th Session including restoring 5% mid-biennium cuts to higher education institutions.
The East Parker County Chamber of Commerce of Commerce Governmental Affairs Committee meets periodically depending on legislative years and pending federal legislation. At these meetings important decision regarding policies that not only affect Parker County citizens, but area businesses as well, are presented, discussed, and voted on. It is important that our local officials hear from the community before making these important decisions.
Local government agendas are posted online in most cases. Reviewing upcoming agenda items provides you with the opportunity to attend the meeting and publicly state your views or concerns.
To Locate City Council & Planning & Zoning Information:
To Locate County Commissioners:
www.parkercountytx.com (Select “County Government”)
To Locate the ISD Board Trustee Agendas:
Aledo ISD: www.aledoisd.org (Select “District Information”, then “Board of Trustees”)
Weatherford ISD: www.weatherfordisd.com (Select “School Board”)
To download our 2021 Legislative Agenda, CLICK HERE.